Friday 4 April 2008

Mission Trying to Draw Differently

Over the last few years, I've noticed, I've developed some BAD habits with my current drawing style. It wasn't until reading Scott McCloud's 'Making Comics' that I realised this.

Also, I've created a sudden love for the artwork of Bruce Timm and Shane Glines. They both worked for DC and Warner Brothers as character designers. Their work is brilliant and instantly recognisible. My theory is, if I'm to be an animator, then I must immitate other peoples styles because I must do as it will be my job in the future.

But also, I want to develop a much more improved style than I currently use. It wasn't until looking through my portfolio and storyboards for uni that I realised I stick to a 'safe' template for character design. I don't want to do that anymore, I want to loosen up.

I've had a few ideas for series and developed a few ideas that were tucked away in my head. However, they all need varied styles. So, the quest moves on to attempt to develop a new trademark style that blends in with the current artistic style of animation these days.

Anyway, any doodles which I think are successful I will post on the MTTDD blog which link can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment